Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Adopt a Marine! Project

I've written a couple of times about Jason, Adam's friend, who is in Iraq.

Well, Jason's family has come up with a chance to support the troops. Gary, who is Jason's guardian, bought a bunch of boxes and printed up labels with the names and addresses of the twenty-two members of Jason's company and started handing them out. He's already handed out two complete sets and is on his third. I asked him to send me the list. I went to Curves yesterday to work out and they want to hand out the boxes. Today I'll get twenty-two boxes and print up the labels and take them to Curves tomorrow.

I think part of the reason for the strong response is that the women at Curves tend to be middle-aged, like me. And a lot of us remember Vietnam, and the way the vets felt. This is our chance to make sure that mistake isn't made this time. Bob and I have been sending stuff to Jason--letters, coffee, a box of Harry and David snacks and cookies--but the idea that all the guys in his company could get that kind of support just tickles me.

Anyway, I've got the address list and if anyone would like to adopt a marine, feel free to send me an email at mcq@en.com and request an address. You'll have to supply your own box. But it's a fairly cheap way to make yourself feel good.

Suggestions for filling the box: Magazines, books, cds, video games, headphones (they break easily) gameboys, disposable cameras, snacks (but not chocolate or caramel, the 110 degree Iraqi summer makes them gross) baby wipes, squirt guns, toys, and a note saying who you are.

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen Sandstrom said...

Hey, M: Count me in. Great idea. Cheers

May 31, 2006 10:27 PM  
Blogger mapletree7 said...

I'll take a Marine, please.

June 01, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Clair, send me an email address and I'll send you a Marine!

June 01, 2006 7:08 PM  
Blogger Responsible Artist said...

Do you know if you can do the flat rate boxes to Iraq?

Last time I shipped stuff it didn't exist. I'd like a Marine, too, if you have any extras.

June 03, 2006 1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Incase it is of any interest to you, a while back i managed to find a british labels company who sold me a batch of plain labels for a really low cost. If you are at all interested then it may be worth taking a look at their website as i know they do many types of label printing aswell including address labels.

April 15, 2008 10:23 AM  
Blogger WishingYouWereHere said...

I would love to have a Marine! Please send me one! thanks!

October 14, 2008 8:00 PM  
Blogger WishingYouWereHere said...

Id love to write to a Marine! Please send me one!
thanks!

October 14, 2008 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home